Google

Friday, February 16, 2007

Hair cuts in India

So I got brave and had my hair cut today. For those of you that know me well, I am a little fearful of letting new people cut my hair. Since my junior year in high school, I think there have only been four different people who have given me a haircut.

Since I have been here, I have heard first hand of three different choices for getting your hair cut:

1. Greg got his hair cut at a barber shop. If I remember correctly it was only like 50 rupees (If you haven't learned the conversion rate yet from reading my blog, that's really f#$#ing cheap). The guy gave him a head massage, and offered him a drink and a cigarette afterwards.

2. Neil got his hair cut at a place where the barber was literally wrist deep in a plate of Indian food just before he started cutting his hair, and figured that simply wiping his hands off on a towel before commencing to stick his hands in Neil's hair would be sufficient clean up.

3. Jeff got his hair cut at a salon by a guy named Vinod who doesn't really speak English, but did a good job.

I opted for choice #3. The barber with the sweet hospitality sounded good, but I have an aversion to places that only use clippers, and #2 definitely wasn't happening.

Vinod did a pretty good job. Pretty much looks the same as it always looks. It was damn cheap, too. 240 rupees including a 100 rupee tip. (Yeah, I'm a generous guy)

One thing that I did find mildly amusing... Even half way around the world, in a culture that doesn't really accept homosexuality, the hair care profession seems to attract men of the same sexual orientation as it does in the United States. Who knew?

No comments: