Google

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

First Night Out!

Well, after a somewhat overwhelming and intense weekend Hyderbad is starting to have the beginnings of that good ole' home feeling.

Today was my first day at work, and I had the chance to meet my roommates who had just finished vacationing for the weekend in Chennai. Two pretty cool cats, Scott and Greg, who definitely helped me feel at home half way around the world.

Made it into work which is only about a 3.5 minute walk from my apartment, including the 5 flights of stairs (I'm only on the third floor, but the first is -2). Everybody I that I work with is super nice and very welcoming , but I do feel a little bad that I don't remember about half of their names. I'll get them all eventually, just give me some time.

After work, I had a really great evening. Went out with my flatmates and a few other expats to a restuarant called Serengeti. My first dinner out! Aren't you excited?!

Getting there was an adventure as always. I don't think I can describe to you how insane the traffic here is. It is something you have to experience to believe. It really is like organized chaos. People going every which way, honking, and on everything from bikes to cars to autorickshaws to massive dump trucks. Somehow everything just works fine. I really think it has something to do with the timing of the honk. I think that is the key.

Anyway, Greg and Scott had ventured out to get a haircut before dinner so I met up with a few other expats (Suzie, Anna, Alexa and Liz) all of whom have much more India experience than I. We took one of the Google taxis to Serengeti where we had a sumptuous dinner of lobster, prawns and chicken. Ohh yes... and of course naan bread. I love naan bread. Soooo good.

Now, back at home, it's time for bed.

No comments: